Skip to main content

Are you guilty yet?

My friend recently told me the superb 30% returns he got from stocks last week. My other colleague was discussing how the future college costs would be around $350,000 for a 4 years course. I read somewhere the rising cost of healthcare or even of raising a child! On a lazy weekend, when I sit sipping my morning coffee and recalling these conversations, I sometimes feel a shiver run down my spine.

I feel guilty. 


I feel guilty that I might not be on the right track to confidently say if I am saving and investing enough. A lot of what-if questions arise. I feel guilty, that though with gods grace I am working in a full-time job with a pay check coming at the end of every month, perhaps the saving is not invested in the most efficient manner.

Every now and then I do read personal finance blogs, articles, investment blogs, view what others have to say on video channels, but then I feel guilty that I did not act to do something tangible with any little money which I might have lying idle in my bank account. I know that even $50 invested each month, would go a long way by the power of compounding.

I feel guilty that by not investing my little savings, I might be putting my families future at stake. I know I can begin with simple tips to invest, but that needs to start somewhere and someday.

With these thoughts, I put this blog in place to document my thoughts on what I learn related to managing personal finances better. The target audience for my writing is not the financially savvy people who dabble in stocks on a daily basis, but those of us who have heard of concepts such as IRA, 401K, Robinhood, Wealthfront etc. but are not sure where to start or if we are on the right track.

I might also be writing about my small learnings over time which helps to make better use of our savings by using tools and services available to us.

Disclaimer

I am not a financial, legal or tax expert and not providing financial advice. My thoughts should not be the sole basis of your investment strategy, and should, at best, serve as a catalyst to your financial research. I am not liable if you follow the steps I describe and incur a loss on your portfolio.

I am a software engineer sharing my learnings, opinions and my thoughts which may or may not work for you. Each person's financial world is unique, and you should consult a financial expert such as a CFA to design your investment strategy and assess your unique requirements. I may talk about the returns achieved due to some investment strategy or portfolio, but that is something which I experienced at a particular slice of time. Your returns could be very different from what I experienced. The stock market, and hence mutual funds, index funds etc. are all volatile, where past performance is not an indication of future performance.

The information found on this blog is not a substitute for professional advice and I cannot guarantee the accuracy, reliability or completeness of the information presented.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The smart (and free!) way to track your Net Worth

With the current amount of monthly savings, when will you hit the $1 million savings? Are you saving enough for your kid's college education? Will $100,000 be enough when you retire? Will $2.5 million be enough when you retire?  How will your upcoming house mortgage payments affect your retirement savings? All these and related questions, boil down to one simple question. How do you find if you are saving(and investing - remember that saving is not the same as investing) enough right now? There are multiple ways and even more tools and best practices to calculate and find if you are roughly on track towards a good saving and investing regime. It is futile to aim for accurate numbers or to assess if you will have saved $2.4 million by the age 63. What is more important, is to assess if you are roughly on track. With the innumerable variables in life, it is next to impossible to predict accurate numbers and financial milestones. Yet, educated best practices and tools, historical l

Essential principles of setting basic saving goals

Can you run out of money? Yes, you definitely will run out of money, unless you take a conscious steps towards laying down some strong foundational steps. It really does not matter much whether you are making $60,000 per year or $200,000. If you do not save and invest, the future of a general family is bleak. I might be sounding too aggressive and pessimistic, but I feel it is better to be a bit worried today, instead of in future when you really need the money. I understand that I cannot make a sweeping generic statement because everybody is unique, with unique situations, but here are a few facts to ponder upon. I have read many times people commenting that they aim to save at least about $100,000 for retirement. Do you think $100,000 sounds like a big amount?  For a moment, let us not consider any alternate income sources such as social secruity income Assuming annual before-tax return of 5% on the amount Assume that you may need to withdraw about $7000 every month at re